Sex Sells... But at What Cost? A Free Screening of America the Beautiful 3
America the Beautiful 3: Film Screening and Panel Discussion more information...
Beneath the glossy, perfect images presented in pop culture there are more desperate stakes at hand. Who is at fault for perpetuating such a harmful culture? Is it corporate greed in advertising? Is it the media that projects these images? Could parents be responsible?
In America the Beautiful 3, award-winning director Darryl Roberts tackles these complicated questions and reveals the shocking extent to which America's youth is exposed to sexual content at an increasingly early age. In the documentary, Roberts follows individuals and families with personal stories related to sexuality, relationships, pornography, assault, trauma, eating disorders, and body image issues. This film features interviews with MSU students.
Discussion by a panel of experts following the screening:
• Amy Bonomi, PhD, MSU Professor and Chair of Human Development and Family Studies
• Anna Kowalski, MFT, Associate Clinical Director of Monte Nido Eating Disorder Treatment Center
• Emily Nichols, MSU Graduate Student, Human Development and Family Studies Violence
• L. Monique Ward, PhD, University of Michigan Professor of Psychology
• Nora Rifon, PhD, MSU Professor of Advertising and Public Relations
Moderator: Shari Murgittroyd, MSU Sexual Assault Program Director
The event is free and open to the public.
Sponsored by: MSU Sexual Assault Program, MSU Women's Resource Center, Kellogg Hotel and Conference Center, Office of the University Physician, Student Health Services and Center for Gender in Global Context.
Warning: Content of the film includes scenes of sexual violence that may be triggering.